Saturday 7 July 2012

Spider-Girl

I've always been a bit of a huge Spiderman fan, so with Andrew Garfield (Never Let Me Go, The Social Network, The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus) signed up, I've been excited for the new 'The Amazing Spider-man' for ages!

I loved the first 3 films with Tobey Maguire in the role, opposite Kirsten Dunst (the second one being my favourite) and upon first hearing that a new one without this pair was being made I was the least impressed. But when I heard Andrew and Emma Stone would be filling the roles, excitement started to brew. Great news, I love them both!

Given that my expectations for the film had grown to great heights I was pleasantly surprised the reality managed to surpass them. Andrew was of course perfect for the part, playing the awkward and geeky yet extremely attractive and loveable character just as it should be. The story felt much more intricate than the first, with clever depth into exploring how spider-man came to be.

The little boy in the opening was adorable! And looked the spitting image of Andrew, I was amazed. I felt much more emotionally attached to his aunt and uncle, with Sally field as Aunt May (I've adored her for years for the role of Nora Walker on Brothers and Sisters.) Although I wasn't quite as attached to the love story between Peter Parker and Gwen (Stone), since it lacked the history that there was in the original films, they do make just the cutest couple ever! 
What surprised me the most was the level of comedy! I was giggling to myself on many occasions, laugh out loud stuff! The music (always something I particularly enjoy in a film) was brilliant (composed by James Horner, who did the music for Avatar). Just the right amount of theatrical-ness and drama to it! It has it's sad moments, but film music for me often is at it's best at the sadder moments, full of expression and beautiful melody - helping to overcome the sadness of the story! 

I could just keep talking about the film for hours and hours. I'm still buzzing. With the days of Harry Potter sadly behind us, nothing quite beats and epic series film reaching the cinema! Already getting slightly excited for the sequel. If you like comic-book style action movies, this is a must see, but obviously you know that. I'll surely be seeing it again no doubt. It's managed to stay similar enough to the originals to keep spider-man lovers happy, but at the same time has created a new world.

Great storyline, great cast, great music, great great great. Go see it and enjoy!

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment