Sunday 1 July 2012

Tennis Tennis Tennis

My life has been take over. One word: Wimbledon. I always manage to forget how much I enjoy tennis until the last week in June arrives and I become some kind of crazy fanatic. Don't get the wrong idea; I'm nothing of a 'sporty' person. My most adventurous sporting activity of late was probably either my brief run, or a gentle country stroll. But there's something about Wimbledon. The tradition is so infectious. Pimms, Strawberries and cream, perfect grass courts and everyone in pristine white. It's just lovely.

Me and my sister took our traditional expedition down to London for the real life experience. We visited the famous Wimbledon club for the first time last year and enjoyed every second of the pouring rain, accepting the new tradition into our lives. We set up our tent around 6:00 on Tuesday evening, number 508 and 509 in the queue. A friendly American next-door had flown over especially for the occasion. So very committed. And with no tent, just pizza boxes to sleep on! Such dedication. 


After a difficult night sleep 5:00 brought the rude awakening. Normally a famed grump in the mornings, adrenaline and excitement fortunately took over and I was beaming smiles as proper queueing began. By 9:30 they started letting us in. We just went for ground tickets. The beautiful centre court was tempting, but we just wanted to wander about the place and soak in the atmosphere. 


The place was stunning. We caught a doubles match with the hilarious French double act Llodra and Clement, followed by a close match between Gulbis and Janowicz. You get so close up to the tennis, it's so exciting. The huge serves were scary though. I had to duck everytime one came our way! 


Of course the rain interrupted the day, and with a train to catch that was it for us. Rain aside, what a perfect day. A glimpse of Rafa Nadal and Heather Watson, as well as seeing Djokovic practising were some of the highlights! 


Every other day this week I spent glued to the television. Some edge of the seat matches what with Nadal getting knocked out, and a close call for Federer. Every night has been so exciting! I missed it today so much with the day off! The film Wimbledon had to suffice, and did a very good job indeed. One of my favourite rom coms! Bring on tomorrow, with more tennis tennis tennis.

It would be brilliant to see Andy Murray go as far as possible, but personally I'm rooting for Frenchman Richard Gasquet. I think he's just brilliant. He plays so elegantly, one of my favourite players to watch. Things are getting serious now, I'm expecting a day of great tennis.

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment